Children are the future of the nation. If children are allowed to make decisions for themselves when they are young, they’ll be able to make better judgments about a certain situation and act according when they grow up.
It all depends on how well we involve them while making an important decision that has something to do with their life. From choosing which outfit to wear and which toy to play with, children make various decisions in a day. This skill needs to be polished every now and then to help them get ready for major future decisions, like choosing courses or colleges.
The Heritage School, topping the list of ICSE schools in Dehradun, has come up with certain tips to help parents involve their kids while making a decision.
• Let Your Child Take Lead: From letting him order food while you are at a restaurant and letting him choose the kind of clothes he wants to wear, encourage your child to start small. This will make him confident enough and he’ll be able to put his ideas forth.
• Focus On Your Child’s Interest: Having an interest over what your child wants gives you get an insight into his thought process. This will help you acknowledge his ideas.
• Communication: If you don’t allow healthy communication to propel between you and your child there may be hindrances while making decisions.
• Make Every Day A Learning: Tell your child about various aspects of one situation. Just like every coin has two sides, every decision has a positive and negative effect. Make your child aware of both.
• Teach Them Values: When you teach your kids about certain values it helps them mold their decisions based on their learnings.
• Tell Them That It Is Okay to Make Mistakes: When a child makes a decision there will be consequences. Do not discourage him, instead allow him to grow.
At The Heritage School, considered one of the best ICSE schools in Dehradun, we ensure that students are involved in the process of decision making and encourage the parents to take this initiative as well.